Re: Orca Technical questions

Hi Jorge!
I've been reading some things about Gnome accessibility framework in general, and IIRC there are certain problems with Java apps and other apps supporting AT-SPI, but I'm not sure about what are they... is this right?

Gnome App   [Gtk+ ---> GAIL]   --->   ATK   ---> AT-SPI
Java App   [Swing]   --->   Java Accessibility Framework   --->   AT-SPI
Modulo any nit-picky details, I think this is just about exactly correct. :-)
And in the near future:
KDE4 App [>=Qt4.2]   ------>   AT-SPI
(once AT-SPI is ported to use D-Bus instead of CORBA as now...)
I'm not sure how that is going to play out, but what you describe is one of the proposed solutions.

The Java apps I've tried (i.e. Eclipse) say "Not accessible", but then it correctly speaks the menus and options, so... what happens exactly there? and what are the problems today with them? I couldn't find more info about this :(
Hmmm...odd. The mention of something being inaccessible is done in scripts/metacity.py. The condition that causes this is when we come across a window that's not known to the AT-SPI registry. It looks as though something odd might be happening with top level windows created by the Java platform. Do you see this same behavior with the sample Java applications that come with the Java development kit (e.g., SwingSet and the text editor)?

Will