Orca newbie question

Hello, I hope this is the approproiate place to ask the following question. I'm a windows user and decided to try out ubuntu6.10 so I downloaded the live cd. However, when I boot into the live cd and choose orca, it speaks but I can't understand what it is saying because the speach is staticy. I can discern the voice through the static but can't make out what iis being spoken. I'm using a 2.80ghz processor with 1gig of ram and a sound blaster audigy. I'm also running it in a VMware session. I'm very new to linux so any help would be apreciated. Thanks,

Mike