Orca problems with espeak

Hello everyone,
I am having some problems getting the espeak driver to work with Orca. I am using the latest version of ubuntu. The version of espeak that comes with ubuntu is 1.15. The latest version appears to be 1.18. I cannot get gnome-speech to compile with version 1.15. When I try to use 1.18, I get a message from LD during compilation that it cannot fine libespeak. I have the espeak library and symlink in /usr/lib. I have added /usr/lib to my ld.so.conf file and have run ldconfig. Any ideas? Is there a ubuntu package for the latest version of espeak?