Re: Orca accessable web browser with orca

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 10:30:30PM +0000, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
It's not compiled into the ELinks packages in the Ubuntu repositories,
but actually ELinks does support some JavaScript:

I like very much the "*some*": please try getting logged into a router
with both lynx, elinks or links2, netrik, w3m, edbrowse... then we will
for sure better understand why people need FF (and so Orca). IMHO it's absurd
to advise using a console-browser from within Orca as long as it's much
easier, faster and efficient to do ctrl+alt+F? to use console apps under
the console (I personally doesn''t ask for a board spaghetti when I go
to the Chinese restaurant :-) )

http://elinks.or.cz/documentation/manual.html

I don't believe elinks will one day be as performant as
Mozilla/Firefox/Opera browsers in Js and Flash support. The goals is
IMHO to take profit from graphical apps thanks to Orca, and to use
graphical browsers since it's worldwide known that their
console-counterpart fail in JS, Flash, etc.

There are also patches to make W3M use JavaScript, although they're now
at least four years old.
W3m is quite userunfriendly/blindunfriendly (I'm a real
lynx addict and cannot work without "numbered links and form fields" +
the "cursor showed".
So it will probably be hard for me to learn surfing the web under FF or
Mozilla; but that effort is a major need for some existing
online services.

L.