Re: [orca-list] Speech-dispatcher won't start after upgrade

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 09:11 +0100, Tomas Cerha wrote:
Hermann wrote:
The only workaround I found is adding the following two lines to the
speech-dispatcher startup script:
mkdir /var/run/speech-dispatcher
chown speech-dispatcher:audio /var/run/speech-dispatcher
But that's rather uncommon and not really necessary, if SD would work
correctly.

Hello Hermann, SD works correctly, but the Debian startup script is
simply not designed for Ubuntu.  You should either not use Debian
packages on Ubuntu or you must be prepared to invent such workarounds.

I would say that installing from source would probably be better (even
looking at the ubuntu package source (the stuff used to create the
package) and then it will be installed the same as the ubuntu package
and may be even go as far as creating the package (but I don't know what
is involved in ubuntu package building)).

From
Michael Whapples

Best regards, Tomas