[orca-list] Speech-dispatcher won't start after upgrade

Hi,
because SD sometimes crashes without any reason, I upgraded from
0.6.3-testing to 0.6.4.
Because this package wasn't in the Ubuntu repository, I had to do this
manually by downloading the packages related to SD from the Debian pool.
After installing, /var/run/speech-dispatcher/speech-dispatcher.pid isn't
created automatically anymore.
I have to create it manually after every start. Otherwise I get the
message that it cannot be created because of wrong permission.
The startup script in /etc/init.d is unchanged.
There's a user "speech-dispatcher" that belongs also to the group
"audio".
So what's going wrong? Why does an upgrade screw up all the SD settings?
In the meantime I had to switch to Gnome-Speech again, which would be
sufficient, if that annoying OSS/Alsa thing can be solved in the near
future.
Hermann