Re: [orca-list] suggestions for upgrading Espeak

Hi,
I think on the package issue, one should build a package with
dpkg-buildpackage to solve your second problem.
You should copy espeak and speak some where in your execution path, I use
/usr/local/bin.
Yes, you must copy the espeak-data directory to /usr/share.  The
advantages would be that you will now have any changes made to the speech
rules or phonemes since the previous version you had.  UIn fact it is
quite possible that by not copying espeak-data, you will start getting
funny speech because the new espeak will not be able to correctly use the
old espeak-data.
Yes, you should also copy the library files into /usr/local/lib or another
library path like /usr/lib.
With orca, the library files and /usr/share/espeak-data is what is
actually used.
espeak-1.28 is the latest official release, so packages for that should
likely be around soon.
I would therefore not worry too mutch about the software update clobbering
the compiled version.
HTH, Willem