[orca-list] suggestions for upgrading Espeak

Hey all, I have a question regarding Espeak for anyone who can answer.
I got the 1.28 source yesterday, and compiled it successfully against
portaudio19.  I'm running Ubuntu 7.04, and am more or less just looking
for a couple suggestions.  Should I replace my existing binary
(/usr/bin/espeak) with the newly compiled one?  Does the same hold true
for the libespeak files?  Lastly, should I copy the espeak data in
yesturday's archive over to /usr/share?  If I do all this, how do I go
about telling dpkg, apt, etc. about the changes, so that any updates
don't clobber my new version?  Any help would be greatly appreciated,
and thanks much in advance.

Guy