Re: [orca-list] WXGTK (was Re: orca and smmx)

Hello,
This discussion sounds very interesting, because this means that
Audacity, which as far as i understand it uses WX GTK could be made
accessible, something which it isn't to date, as far as i can understand
it. If so, that'd be cool since then we'd have a really good audio
editing solution in Linux and i'd come one step closer to leaving Windows.
/Krister

Tomas Cerha wrote:
Nolan Darilek wrote:
It's likely the program is using wxgtk.  It is a widget set with
controls that look
like MS Windows.  Any app that uses wxgtk isn't accessible.

Really? Can anyone else confirm this?

No, it is not correct.

I'm writing an application that uses WXRuby (which, in turn, uses
WXGTK.) Thus far, I've found it to be highly accessible. But am I
likely to run into any accessibility issues further down?

I saw reports of some problems.  As far as I understand it, some wx
widgets, which have a custom implementation under wxGTK, may not
implement accessibility support correctly.  You should be safe if you
choose carefully which widgets you use.  And if you discover problems
with certain widgets, you may do a good job if you report them...

My understanding of WX is that it doesn't look like windows, but rather
looks native to whatever platform you're on.

Yes, that's correct.

BTW, I think the app in question is XMMS, and when last I checked it
used GTK 1.2.

Yes, and that is the reason why it is not accessible.

Best regards, Tomas