Re: [orca-list] debian etch help in installing

"PV" == Peter Vágner <peter v djmarkus sk> writes:

    PV> Hello listers, I am new to the world of orca so please excuse my
    PV> inaccurate questions. I would like to install it on the debian
    PV> etch system. I have read theorca wiki and given steps seem to be
    PV> pretty clear even for a novice like I am but I still don't know
    PV> which packages I have to install prior to trying to compile
    PV> orca. I even don't know how to check which version of gnome my
    PV> system has. I have found that gnome-orca package exists within
    PV> the experimental debian repository but I cant find URL to that
    PV> repository to put into sources.list either. I thought that I can
    PV> first try to install dependencies for that package and then
    PV> assuming I have everything I need install orca as stated in the
    PV> wiki. I had never gnome or any graphical enviromment started now
    PV> I am using brltty in the console only. So I have got only
    PV> default etch's stuff installed. I think gnome is there but I
    PV> dont know which version. Would it also be possible to update
    PV> gnome to the latest version? I believe now when orca is a part
    PV> of it this would also be a working solution. As for the
    PV> synthesis I have got festival installed and working. Please
    PV> advice what is the best way for me and please be patient with
    PV> me. Give as much details as you can or point me to appropriate
    PV> place if this is not a proper list for such questions please.
Hi,

there is more questions. First you need know whether you want to use
orca with Czech language. Because I know that your native language is
Slowak I think that yes. If yes then best way is use speech dispatcher
with orca.

For this you need use orca 2.19 from svn repository. The configuration
and compilation process is easy and is well described on Orca pages.

Then you need install python-speechd package and latest speech
dispatcher.

If you want configure orca in gnome then good way is run orca from
terminal as: orca -t I think that you will have here some problems
because there is problem with festival driver in gnomespeech on debian
but I'm not sure with it now. So try it and write again and we can
continue.

Best.

--

Jan Buchal