Re: [orca-list] sound on feisty

Hello,
I use espeak with orca through speech-dispatcher, which has a way to use
alsa (by using a different player than the default espeak output sound
system), that can overcome some of the sound difficulties. Yes I think
speech-dispatcher has its own problems from time to time, and it is
another layer between orca and output. So my thought goes to, is there
any way to get espeak with gnome-speech to use alsa? I haven't had much
success when compiling portaudio v19 with only alsa support, the
performance was slow and multiple sounds didn't seem to work properly.
My thought then goes to, any way to use the alsa-oss stuff so that
portaudio believes its using oss, but really it is the oss compatability
of alsa. I know that if I execute a program manually I use the aoss
command, but as I remember with all the layers of orca, gnome-speech,
etc I can't do it just with
aoss orca
something else needs to be start with the aoss command (unless it could
be done programatically using the alsa libraries directly and so it come
part of the gnome-speech driver for espeak)..

Other than the first comment about using speech-dispatcher I know I
haven't given a solution, but comments on my thinking would be good as I
would like to remove as many layers of speech API's that are used to
produce the speech output.

From
Michael Whapples