Re: [orca-list] Why can't speech work on some systems from Ubuntu liveCD?

It is real odd. I did manage to make it work real sluggishly to reinstall after my bad luck with apt-get dist-upgrade locking up. I'll have to try that again so I can upgrade it to Feisty. Downloading might be faster than that slow CD drive in that box.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Willie Walker" <William Walker Sun COM>
To: "Brent Harding" <bharding doorpi net>
Cc: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2007 2:23 PM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Why can't speech work on some systems from Ubuntu liveCD?

Last week, I finally got sighted assistance to install Ubuntu Edgy
Eft

Was that Edgy Eft or Feisty Fawn?  You're better off with Feisty at the
moment.

have loaded as I had him verify I chose screen reader. The strange thing is that after he installed it for me and we rebooted and logged in, speech came
up like there was never a problem.

Strange indeed.  I wonder if there's something (e.g., some sort of
special audio driver) that was installed that was not present when you
booted to the live CD.

sound card in it. What is wrong with that machine that won't let me have a sightless install? In the event of needing a reinstall, is there another way
I can make it work?

I wish I knew better what was going on.  It sounds like you analyzed it
more thoroughly than I might have, though.

Other orca-listers, have you seen similar problems when doing a
sightless install of Ubuntu?

Will