Re: [orca-list] more progress

Hi, Mohammed;

Absolutely no problem about being a beginner. Motivated beginners become
experts eventually, and we need more folks with expertise.
It seemed to me worthwhile to write you along those lines because I know
people on this list, and on the other Linux accessibility lists, can be
very helpful to folks looking to gain technical proficiency on Linux.
So, I'll just give you my thoughts, and I know others will too, in the
hope and expectation that this will help you and others. Eventually,
you'll be doing the same for others I'm sure.

Janina

Mohammed Al-shar' writes:
hi Janina,

thank you very much for taking the time to answer my email this thorroly. as
you have guessed I am a beginner when it comes to linux. I only managed to
install feisty ubuntu and then I think I managed to build the environment
"sudo apt-get build-dep gnome orca". it threw no errors on me and if I
repeat the step it tells me I already have everything installed. (can't
remember the exact phrase). then I also managed to install subversion and
gnome-common modules successfully "sudo apt-get install subversion
gnome-common" and when I repeat this step it would say that subversion is
already the latest version and that gnome-common is also the latest version
already.

I guess this is all and fine so far, although it really took me time to
realise that I at times don't have patience to make it continue the work. I
press the left ctrl key too quickly, and when it becomes silent and I review
the screen to find nothing new, I assume that ubuntu has finished
downloading stuff. obviously, I was wrong! but anyway, as I said, gnome-orca
environment and subversion as well as gnome-common are surely up to date as
we speak.

now is the headache, I issue svn co http://svn.gnome.org/svn/orca/trunk and
I never get it to continue downloading no matter how much I leave it. the
error that autogen didn't exist, I figured out, had to do with that. I
managed to ge most files by repeating the steps more than once, but not
everything. now it would tell me that there were some files missing. what is
worse is that if I issue the svn command once again it would say that the
directory is locked and that I need to issue svn cleanup. when I do it tells
me that file so and so is not under version control, and so the work stops
there.

I do realise that I am playing in the dangerous stuff too early, and that I
should practice with something simpler, but I really can't use orca without
access to firefox. to me a computer with no net is not so useful. I never
would have learned all I know by now if it wasn't for the fact that I had
this adventurous soul!

what does Jenina say I can do?

I am sure I wouldn't have faced all the above if I could get orca and
firefox via ftp, but since I don't know how to use the net under linux, I
just wonder how I will ever get the files. I know the addresses, and I can
open firefox and go to them, but what then? how do I navigate to get to the
desired download? if possible, more details from anyone would be
appreciated.

before I call it an email, and I am sorry it has already been lengthy, I
would like to thank everyone for their guidance. herman's help got me out of
trouble so often, although I know nothing about linux.

long lives open source and its spirit.

thank you
Mohammed al-shar'