[orca-list] installing ubuntu

hi list.
I have explored orca through the live cd of ubinto 6.1 edgy quite well now and I do want to install it on my computer. I read the instructions on the website
and tried them. the installer worked as expected until I chose to resize the partition and configured 50% of the partition it automatically selected. then
clicked install. now the computer was silent and the cd kept spinning for more than an hour. I tried to alt tap or press just any key to make orca speak,
but no go. since I had no sighted help then I don't know what was on the screen, but when I decided to reboot the system I found out that I lost windows
and I couldn't boot into linux either.
I managed to restore my windows os fine after some struggle. but now the question is: is it normal for ubuntu to take more than an hour to install and to
be completely silent while doing this? will it normally tell me if it finished? what do you suggest I try?
 my computer has a 3 gig intel cpu with 1 gig of ram, so it's quite very good.
I noticed that there were 2 versions of ubuntu this morning on orca's website, Ubuntu Edgy Eft 6.10 andUbuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04. what is the difference between
these 2 live cds? I assume the later has recent versions of orca?
regards,
Mohammed al-shar'