Re: Orca Spoken boot

Tomas Cerha wrote:
Well, Speech Dispatcher is started by init (as well as other services
such as apache etc.).  This is, however, far from having a speech
enabled boot process, since these services are started at the very end
of booting.  This is the playground for Speakup, but you can't rely on
any user-space speech synthesis system.

Right, but in Ubuntu we are redesigning the whole boot process to no longer use init so we can bring speakup and speech dispatcher up very early. A few other things obviously have to come up first, but it can certainly come up before things like Apache or X and item that happen before SD is loaded can still be read out from the boot message log.

See Scott's recent blogs about 'upstart':
http://www.netsplit.com/blog/work/canonical/upstart.html
http://www.netsplit.com/blog/work/canonical/upstart2.html

And see BootMessageLogging:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BootMessageLogging