Re: Orca and Open Office

Hi Hermann,

You will find the option (and other accessibility options) that Mike is referring to in StarOffice/OpenOffice.org in Tools->Options...->StarOffice->Accessibility (the latter two being tree items in the Options pane. "Use text selection cursor in read-only text documents" is a checkbox in the "Miscellaneous options" portion of that dialog box.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Hello Hermann,
If you've installed Ubuntu 6.10, there's a subfolder called "Examples" in your home directory, where you can find several *.odt and *.doc files which I can't read at all. It's astonishing that reading spread sheets seems to be easier, provided you switch table reading to "cell". There's also an example in the mentioned subfolder.
I think the reason you are having trouble reading some of the example
documents is that they are read-only.  OpenOffice has the ability to
enable a caret browsing mode for read-only documents.  I believe if you
enable this you will be able to read the example documents. Hope this helps
Mike