Problems with Orca autogen on a Debian sid system.

Hi,

Just wondering whether anyone has been able to build Orca on debian sid, without getting entangled in confusion due to python version discrepancies?  When I attempt the autogen, I get the following error:
checking for a Python interpreter with version >= 2.4... configure: error: no suitable Python interpreter found.

I have  both python and python2.4, but the highest available version of the python package itself under debian according to the below search is 2.3.55:

The autogen process went just fine under Ubuntu, and when I did a similar package search, I discovered that the highest available version of Python was 2.4.20:
  So, my thought at that point was, "alright, maybe Ubuntu just has a more up to date python"; However,  when I investigated a bit more, I really started to get a headache.
When I looked at the following link:
I saw that, " This package is a dependency package, which depends on Debian's default Python version (currently v2.4)."
Huh?

Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks in advance for any info,

--Al