Orca Options for Starting (was Re: Error caused by the Gnomme-panel!)

Hi Paul:

I'm guessing you are starting Orca by pressing Alt+F2 and then typing
"orca".  There is a bug in either gnome-panel or GTK that is causing
this crash.  It happens when accessibility is enabled and is quite a
pain in the neck.

You might try starting Orca by a different means.  Here's just a few
ideas:

1) Create a desktop icon to launch it.  You can do this by adding a
launcher to the desktop.  Press Ctrl+F10 when the desktop has focus and
choose the "Create Launcher..." menu item.  You can give the desktop
focus by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Tab and cycling through the options.

2) Run orca from a virtual console.  Make sure you are logged in as the
same user as the one starting the graphical desktop and export
DISPLAY=:0.0 if you do this.  This is probably the easiest option and it
gives you direct access to kill/restart orc

3) Disable the automatic starting of the X Window System and use xinit
and ~/.xinitrc instead (you can add a command to start orca in
~/.xinitrc).  With this, you start xinit when logged into a virtual
console.  Unfortunately, the means for disabling the automatic starting
of the X Window System vary by OS distribution.

4) Try adding orca as a startup program via the gnome-session-properties
application. This will start orca automatically when you log in.

Hope this helps!

Will

PS - BTW, what TTS engine are you using for Orca?  It would be great if
we could get Orca to talk to speakup so you could use the same synth.  A
fellow list member may help us accomplish this (I hope! :-)).