Re: getting orca included in gnome 2.16

Greetings,

To toss my $0.02 into this discussion...

It has proven very useful to the GNOME accessibility project - and to advancing the support for assistive technologies and the implementation of ATK and AT-SPI - to have a screen reader, screen magnifier, and on-screen keyboard included as a formal part of GNOME. By 'blessing' AT in these categories, it has brought far greater awareness of AT to GNOME developers & UNIX distributions, and has led to a lot of compatibility testing, bug finding, and bug fixing.

Given that it is general GNOME policy to make one product in any given category the 'default' product that a formal part of the GNOME desktop, I am personally delighted that they have chosen to create such a category for screen reader, screen magnifier, on-screen keyboard, and text-input alternative (Dasher).

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.