Re: Orca New to the list

Rereading my post from last night, I feel compelled to further clarify
one point below ...

Janina Sajka writes:
Terry Klarich writes:
Can speakup and orca run together at the same time?  I would like to maintain my boot up accessibility.
Yes, but only if you're using different speech devices. This will be
easy if you're using a hardware speech synth with Speakup.

My additional comment is that it is certainly possible, currently, to
use the same TTS device with both Speakup and Orca, provided that you
remove the speech driver before switching between the gui and text
consoles. Yes, it's annoying and cumbersome, but I do find it works.
It's what I do when traveling with my Thinkpad where there is no serial
port and consequently no opportunity to run Speakup with a hardware
speech device.

Clearly, this is a suboptimal procedure and cannot be called a
"solution." We need a driver resolution whereby Orca can support
Speakup's device drivers in some appropriate manner. This has been
discussed on this list previously, and contacts have been made between
Orca developers and Kirk Reiser. However, I don't believe things have
gotten very far--possibly because Kirk (and Orca developers) have too
many competing priorities. I believe the we, as a community, are looking
for someone conversant with kernel driver development to work on the
solution.

--

Janina Sajka                            Phone: +1.202.595.7777
Partner, Capital Accessibility LLC      http://CapitalAccessibility.Com

Marketing the Owasys 22C talking screenless cell phone in the U.S. and Canada--Go to
http://ScreenlessPhone.Com to learn more.

Chair, Accessibility Workgroup          Free Standards Group (FSG)
janina freestandards org                http://a11y.org