Re: Orca New to the list

Hi, Terry:

Terry Klarich writes:
Can speakup and orca run together at the same time?  I would like to maintain my boot up accessibility.
Yes, but only if you're using different speech devices. This will be
easy if you're using a hardware speech synth with Speakup.

There are other issues, though ...

Speakup's screen review is on the numpad with numlock off. Orca's is
with numlock on.

You may find it important to kill Speakup in the gui console by pressing
PrintScreen. However, this will launch the Screenshot application which
you'll need to cancel using Orca.

I would also like to enable orca for gdm login.  I'm the only one who uses this system.

Last time I tried to set this up with Fedora was just before the release
of FC6. It was broken at that time. Don't know if it's been fixed, but I
did inform the Red Hat accessibility person about this.

I'm running fedora 6.

Where is a list of linux console key combinations?  I know once gdm comes up, one can do an control-alt-f1
to get a text login
using getty.  I am interested on learning how to get back to the X session.

Your gui console will be the first undefined tty in /etc/inittab. It's
tty7 by default. I suggest you get in the habit of switching consoles
using Ctrl+Alt+FN where FN is one of the function keys. In other words,
add the Ctrl to the Alt+FN you're probably accustomed to in the console.

Welcome.

Janina

I am very impressed with orca so far.  And am very encouraged with its accessibility.  It is very easy to
use.  I read the design
doc and impressed with the design philosophy.

Many Thanks.

Terry