To: <orca-list gnome org>
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2006 10:52 AM
Subject: Re: Orca IBM TTS stability issues

On Saturday 18 November 2006 23:48, Sean Murphy wrote:
All.

I have the commercially available IBM TTS Speech engine running on my
Ubuntu Edgy installation.  If I use the Outloud Emacspeak Server option
with ORCA, then everything is stable. But if I use Speech Dispatch, things
become very unstable very quickly.

All the packets except for IBM TTS came from the distro I am currently
running.  questions:

1.  Is anyone here using IBM TTS Speech or not?
2.  If so, how hav eyou found it with Speech dispatcher/?

Sean

Hi,

I am the author of the Speech Dispatcher IBM TTS module.  I am having some
trouble duplicating this problem. Can you capture Speech Dispatcher logs and
send them to me please?  To do that, edit the speechd.conf file (should be
in /etc/speech-dispatcher/speech.conf). Find the LogLevel line and change it
to 5.  Also edit file ibmtts.conf (should be
in /etc/speech-dispatcher/modules/ibmtts.conf).  Find the line that begins
with "Debug" and change to "Debug 1". You can also specify the location of the log files in these conf files. You'll need to restart speech-dispatcher
after making these changes.

/etc/init.d/speech-dispatcher restart

or reboot.  After it stops speaking, zip the log files and send them to me
directly.   The default log file locations are:

/var/log/speech-dispatcher/speech-dispatcher.log
/var/log/speech-dispatcher/ibmtts.log

They'll be rather large; that is ok with me.

Be sure to edit the conf files and restore original settings to avoid filling
up your hard drive!

BTW, I am not an ubuntu, Orca, or speakup user, so problem might be specific
to these configurations.  Maybe the logs will reveal the problem.

Thanks
--
Gary Cramblitt (aka PhantomsDad)