Re: Orca problem starting orca

Hi Michael:

I don't know whether this is because i have an early version of Orca but
I can only seem to run Orca from the Gnome terminal?

Which version of Orca do you have?  If you type "orca --version", it
should print the version (the latest is 0.2.7 and 0.2.8 will be released
Monday).  If it doesn't print the version, then you have a very very old
version.

I thought I was having speech automatically start after login but it
doesn't appear to be the case as sometimes occasionally it did and would
go to the desktop.

What did you do to configure screen reading at login?

I have switched off all the login sounds so I get no sound after I login
and I have checked accessability under System preferences and it is
checked and I think speech is checked as well so I don't know what is
going wrong.

The screen reader option under accessibility preferences currently
enables gnopernicus.  We're working with the appropriate module
maintainers to replace this with Orca for GNOME 2.16.

In the meantime, if you want to start Orca at login, there's a thread
here that discusses some options:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/orca-list/2006-June/msg00049.html

Hope this helps,

Will