Orca problem starting orca

I don't know whether this is because i have an early version of Orca but I can only seem to run Orca from the Gnome terminal? I thought I was having speech automatically start after login but it doesn't appear to be the case as sometimes occasionally it did and would go to the desktop. Most of the time I have to do ALT F2, type gnome-terminal, press enter and then type Orca and hit enter again to get speech and sometimes I have to do this more than once before I get speech running. I even have to hit escape before I repeat this command so something is messing up somewhere. Is this due to the early version of Orca that is in the Ubuntu's Universe reposotory or could it be that Gnopernicus is trying to run and the two screenreaders are clashing, causing speech not to start automatically? I have switched off all the login sounds so I get no sound after I login and I have checked accessability under System preferences and it is checked and I think speech is checked as well so I don't know what is going wrong.