RE: Orca Missing description in planner's toggle button

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Rich Burridge [mailto:Rich Burridge Sun COM]
Enviado el: lunes, 10 de abril de 2006 16:58
Para: Orca screen reader developers
CC: mike pedersen sbcglobal net
Asunto: Re: Orca Missing description in planner's toggle button

Mike Pedersen wrote:
I believe this is called a Ribbon in GUI terms. The wider you
have the planner window, the more of them you see as
graphical button in a single strip of "ribbon".
The rest of the items are put in a popup menu (single line
text entries) which you can bring up by clicking on the arrow
button to the right of the ribbon

I didn't know this, every day you learn something new :-) (smile)

Planner should have some accessible name/description for this
component.
I'll file a bug on Monday.

I think so, the good would be a description for this, gedit has a similar
ribbon for opening files, near to open's button, but is described and named
suitable. In this case is to display the files opened recently, and Orca
says "open a recently used file".

We can easily work around this in the Orca planner.py script. Mike,
what would you like to see spoken/brailled here?

Could be "display more options" or "show the rest of the elements" .... ??

It sounds like we will see this situation in more places than just the
planner.  Can you give me more applications where we will see this
behavior? I'd like to come up with a generic answer if possible.

Well, my sighted friend told me some examples, in Gedit if you resize the
application's window so that no enough space to display the complete toolbar
a ribbon appears and a toggle button with no description and you press it to
show a menu with the other options not visible.
This behavior cannot be reproducible in all applications, We have tried in
bluefish or gtranslator and you cannot change the window's size, so the
toolbar keeps with all options.
But another good example is the sound recorder application, if you reduce
the application's window size, in the toolbar appears a new toggle button
with a ribbon  in the same way as gedit and planner.

I've not seen this in any other GNOME GUI. I understand Windows Vista is
going to use it in a big way though.
 I don't know why in Windows, is supposed We are going to have all the
"vista" (in spanish vista = ability to see) lol.

I suggest we take the approach we've used before, of just doing
something in
the specific script (planner.py in this case), until we come across
another instance
of it. Then we can generalize it and move it up to default.py.

I don't know a good way to move this to default, cause I don't know >if
another toggle button's to do another things will be present in >toolbars. I
have thought a solution if role is toggle button and if >its parent is a
toolbar then add a description if it doesn't have one >yet. ??

As Will pointed out, we should be focused on the higher priority >items
that we still need to do (like proper keyboard echo), so once
you have the phrase you'd like spoken/brailled there, I'd like to
just work with one of the Orca community members (Javier maybe?), to
generate a change to make this work. I'll then be happy to check it >over
and commit it when it's looking good.

I am learning now, and if possible I would be happy to make these changes
with your help.

Thanks.

Thanks
Mike