Re: ORBit_copy_value_core() bug?

On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 11:43 +0100, Jules Colding wrote:
> > 	The 'any' code is full of this rather interesting iteration pattern,
> > and packed full of fun indirection. OTOH - it turns out that is the best
> > way to have the least code that is the most flexible & re-usable.
>
> It would be nice if the working of it was documented in the code.

	It has a fairly full regression test-suite; eg. making your change
would completely break make check ;-)

>  If you ever get hit by a rampaging asteroid or just goes MIA then this
> "interesting" code would risk being non-maintained as most developers
> would just turn away after one glance.

	Nah - the other Michael understood it; Elliot Lee understands it, Dick
Porter had something to do with it, and - ultimately it's not impossible
opaque (AFAIR).

> In a prefect world all code is obvious by first (or second glance)
> without any need for comments, but in this case I'm sure a few helping
> words would go a long way towards making it easier for newcomers to help
> maintaining.

	Yes - unfortunately, walking types in the C ABI reliably &
automatically is not a particularly trivial task ;-)

 michael meeks novell com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot