Re: GEP / C++ bindings ...

Mike,

With respect to the technical arguments:
    Sometimes, the best technical arguments don't help one bit when it
comes to a particular technology's adoption. It appears from your
discussion below this is not a favorite topic of the current developers,
however, I have a feeling that this may be a distinction without a
difference. That is to say, what use is the most favorable technical
direction (C only IDL) if only a small fraction of the potential market
is using it?

Naturally, this means it will only benifit my corporate customers
Like most of the other respondents here on this subject, I too am
waiting on the adoption of C++ into the IDL prior to using Orbit in my
nect project. Should it not be there, no problem, I'll just grit my
teeth and reccomend a commercial product with a C++ binding (the norm)
and keep my code proprietary (I'd like to release it as GPL). Naturally,
I'd prefer to release my code to the community, however, without decent
support from the Orbit IDL compiler, two groups of people loose here.
First, the CORBA adopters loose a good source for GPLed functionality,
and second, the open source community looses access to new applications.

As this duscussion proceeds, I'll be watching it closely as I am very
interested in its outcome. Quite selfishly, as an impatient adopter, I
hope this discussion comes to a conclusion quickly so I know which
technical direction to take in the near future.

BTW, in case it hasn't been said recently. I do think this is a nice
product worthy of use by anyone interested in a decent GPLed CORBA
implementation with good performance (as long as you want to do your
work in C).