GEP / C++ bindings ...

Hi Gergo, Murray,

	Just writing up the GEP proposal for adding the C++ bindings into the
mainline; and I must admit, the more I look at it - the less convincing
the case seems to me.

	Any chance you guys could have a look at this ? I'm beggining to lean
towards adding some interfaces that we can support to help you ...

	Thanks,

Title: REQUIREMENTS GEP 1: ORBit C++ bindings

We need to integrate the C++ bindings for ORBit2, it's not clear how to do this, we also need a new maintainer for it.

1. Administrivia

Document Owner
Michael Meeks
Posted
August 9, 2002
Discussion Period Ends
August 23, 2002
Status
Pending
Discussion List
gnome-components-list@gnome.org
Responsible Persons
Michael Meeks Mark McLouglin Owen Taylor,

2. Proposal

2.1 Internal API exposure

Since the C++ bindings involve using a fairly large amount of ORB internal API, it is undesirable to split them from the ORB. These APIs include the binary servant layout and idl-compiler interfaces. It's possible that we could work exposing these.

2.2 Packaging convenience

Introducing the C++ bindings into core ORBit2 may cause portability problems, and while these can be obviated by a conditional build, this seems problematic.

2.3 API / ABI stability

The C++ bindings are however, immature and should not be considered ABI stable, however - since they have to conform to the standard CORBA C++ binding perhaps this is no problem.

2.4 Maintenance

The C++ bindings would need a separate maintainer, but it would seem to make some sense to have these modules in the same place.

3. Issues Raised During Discussion

So far none.