gnome_name_service_get Gnome/GTK event loop

Hi Folks:

I have been trying to figure out how to (correctly ;-) use
gnome_name_service_get.

So far it seems that it's necessary to call
gnome_CORBA_init(...) instead of gnorba_CORBA_init(...) or
CORBA_ORB_init(...)

However if I call gnome_name_service_get() the client just hangs,
presumably because I haven't started the client-side CORBA event loop
yet.

I tried calling gnorba_CORBA_init(...), which seemed to start the
CORBA event loop OK, but resulted in SEGV when calling
gnome_name_service_get().  In the end, I will need to be able to do
this "both ways", that is, both with the CORBA loop integrated with
the gtk_main event loop and without using gtk_main.  I'm afraid that
I'm stumped at the moment.

What's the right way to initialize ORBit in Gnome such that
gnome_name_service_get() can be called "synchronously" before I start
the main loop (of either flavor) ?

TIA

-Bill

P.S. - on a related topic, is there a reasonably CORBA-standard way of
bootstrapping a service if it's not running yet (supported by ORBit),
or should I use OAF for that?
--
Bill Haneman