Re: ORBIT 5.6 Linux redHAT 7 installation in /usr and /usr/local

Alejandro Imass a écrit :

> Phil Dawes wrote:
>
> > Hi Bernard,
> >
> > If I were you, I wouldn't overwrite the redhat version in /usr -
> > otherwise your rpm database will be inconsistent with what's already
> > installed.
> >
> > Instead, either upgrade using a rpm package, or consider just
> > installing the new compiled one in /usr/local and add /usr/local/lib
> > to the top of /etc/ld.so.conf or $LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that it gets
> >

> Dear Bernard,
>
> I strongly advise to follow Phil Dawes advice and just use the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> environment variable. This variable forces the shell to use a specific order
> when loking for the shared libraries. For your development and testing w/ your
> new version of ORBit you can have a file inyour home directory that contains
> the environment that you want. When you are going to develop you can execute
> the shell command "source xxxxx" and it will set your evironment to work with
> your new version.
>
> But, if you really want to upgrade your version of ORBit in RedHat, you should
> use gnorpm and remove the dependencies one by one, and write them down for
> later reinstalling.
>
> If you need further help don't hesitate to ask.
>
> Best Regards,
> Alejandro Imass

I would like to thank you for your indications but unfortunately I do not have so
much choice?
libORBIT 5.6 has been installed after compilation both in /usr/lib over the
redHAT installation and in /usr/local /lib. The  important thing is that the
system now recognizes the installation in /usr/local and that the linking has
also been done in /usr/lib to the redHAT installation of ORBIT. Fortunately this
dual situation does not seems to affect too much the running .
Most of these problems are linked to the fact that when you want to configure new
programs such as gnumeric or guppi, bonobo or others there are commonly
confusions depending where the libraries have been  installed .For instance you
have sometimes   to installed in /usr/lib and not in /usr/local/lib as the tests
of configure are not always perfectly taken into account these cases .
If I try to be clearer I will say that ORbit 5.6 cannot be uninstall if you ever
happen to install it in /usr/local .
The system considers your previous installations and do maintain the orbit-config
in /usr/local whatever you try to do. If you cp /usr/local/bin/orbit-config to
/usr/local/bin/orbit-config.old assuming you have orbit-config in /usr/bin your
sytem will ask you for /usr/local/bin/orbit-config . Consequently uninstallation
seems not possible in case of ORBit 5.6...

Best regards

Bernard

begin:vcard
n:REVET ;Bernard
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:CNRS-IGR 94805 Villejuif France;Microscopie Cellulaire et Moléculaire
version:2.1
email;internet:bmrevet igr fr
title:Research Director
x-mozilla-cpt:;23136