Re: ORBIT 5.6 Linux redHAT 7 installation in /usr and /usr/local

Phil Dawes wrote:

> Hi Bernard,
>
> If I were you, I wouldn't overwrite the redhat version in /usr -
> otherwise your rpm database will be inconsistent with what's already
> installed.
>
> Instead, either upgrade using a rpm package, or consider just
> installing the new compiled one in /usr/local and add /usr/local/lib
> to the top of /etc/ld.so.conf or $LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that it gets

Dear Bernard,

I strongly advise to follow Phil Dawes advice and just use the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
environment variable. This variable forces the shell to use a specific order
when loking for the shared libraries. For your development and testing w/ your
new version of ORBit you can have a file inyour home directory that contains
the environment that you want. When you are going to develop you can execute
the shell command "source xxxxx" and it will set your evironment to work with
your new version.

But, if you really want to upgrade your version of ORBit in RedHat, you should
use gnorpm and remove the dependencies one by one, and write them down for
later reinstalling.

If you need further help don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Alejandro Imass