Re: ORBit2 and const char *

> Hi David,
>
>> Please look at both of the following documents and see if there are any
>> other issues that need to be addressed.
>>
>> C  RTF final report...
>> http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?ptc/2000-06-01
>
>        I read it through. AFAIR Elliot once told me or there was a rumour
> that CORBA_exception_init (CORBA_Environment *ev) was not specified by
the
> omg spec - indeed, I don't notice it in my glance through a rather old
> version. This method is somewhat important for any binding IMHO.
>
>        Similarly, the const char *, thing would be extremely useful to
> have in the spec, and IMHO gives very valuable protection.
>
>> If this is a change that you want....   Propose it to the OMG.
>
>        How would one go formaly doing such things, or is the above
> sufficient ? also - any tips on where in the world to travel to make the
> omg website usably fast ? :-)

I'll talk to Michi and Dock (Chair for Real-Time CORBA), and Andrew Watson
(Chair of
the OMG Architecture Board) about it.   For now, if someone would build up
a list of
items like above... and some sort of justification about why it is needed.
In the
vein of the C RTF table.   I will pass that on to Michi and Dock... and
make sure
whomever from Rockwell Collins attends the next meeting is aware of the
issues.
(I'm trying to cut back on travel.)  I'll probably think of a few other
people to
make aware of the issues later...

BTW, I am the Rockwell Collins primary representative to the OMG.  There
are several
of us that attend the meetings.  I've been mainly involved in the Real-Time
PSIG.

The OMG web site is probably only usably fast if you are in the OMG office.
;-)

Just so you know.... If the C RTF final report makes sense to you (and
Others) and ORBit2 can
support it...  I can let people know at the OMG and it can be moved out of
it's
limbo state.   I think it was the Lockheed Martin OMG rep that told the OMG
they wouldn't
implement it's recommendations... Resulting it it's current limbo state.

>> However, later a C Mapping RFP was issued.  I've talked some with
>> Michi Henning about the C mapping, and both of us would support some
>> proposal from the ORBit group for changes.  This issue with "const
>> char *" sounds like something that should be in the updated mapping.
>
>        This is great news.
>
>        Regards,
>
>                Michael.

BTW, my main interest in ORBit is to get it running on embedded systems.
Maybe, adding
some of the CORBA Real-Time changes.

Later,

David Haverkamp