ORBit 0.5.8 Cross-Compile problems..

Hello,

       Finally getting around to working on cross-compiling ORBit 0.5.8 on
to a LynxOS embedded system in our lab.   Has anyone else tried
(successfully?) to do a cross compile to another system.

A couple of problems I've encountered so far (other than just some
inexperience with using the Autoconf tools)

        1.   LynxOS does not have gettext command or libraries....   ( I
did get the latest from gnu.org downloaded and built )

         2.  popt configure script is not cross-compile friendly....

                     i.e.  it executes   "xgettext --version" on the
host...   But for a X compile it needs to look for a library.  BTW,  the
--version isn't a valid option on our Solaris machine.  I don't know what
version we have installed since the command doesn't tell.

             + xgettext --version
             + echo configure: error:
             *** GNU gettext is required. The latest version
             *** is always available from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gettext/.
             configure: error:
             *** GNU gettext is required. The latest version
             *** is always available from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gettext/.
             + exit 1
             configure: error: ./configure failed for popt
             tao:568>
             tao:568>xgettext -v
             xgettext: illegal option -- v
             Usage:  xgettext [-a [-x exclude-file]] [-jns][-c comment-tag]
                     [-d default-domain] [-m prefix] [-M suffix] [-p
             pathname] files ...
                     xgettext -h
             tao:569>

      In looking at the "configure" script for popt (and probably the
toplevel for ORBit).    The target case for doing a cross-compile just
looks at the Solaris libraries....  not the ones in the cross-compiler
directories.   I'm in the process of looking up the configure.in stuff and
makefile.am to see what needs to be changed to fix that.   I didn't have
this problem when I cross-compiled MICO or the gettext library.

               ref:

              addlib() {
                    l=$1
                    shift
                     case "$target"  in
                          *-*-solaris*)   LIBS="$LIBS -L$1 -R $1 $*";;
                          *)             LIBS="$LIBS -L$1 $*";;
                      esac
          }

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.     BTW, I can not add or remove
libraries in the cross-compiler directories....  So any additional
libraries I add to make things work have to be specified via the
configuration process.  Thus, it would be handy to have an "extra-libs" or
some such directory that is at the root package directory level that is
automaticly added to the "LIBS=" stuff so I can add in the missing
libraries.

Thanks,

David Haverkamp
Rockwell Collins