Re: ORBit Windows Port Q

> I've got a couple of questions about the Windows
> port of ORBit:
>
> http://www.cpplover.pe.kr/Orbit/ORBit-0.5.1-win32.zip
>
> I've actually compiled it myself with mingw, as I had
> problems linking the MSVC created .lib with mingw
> (the problems were some alloc helper routines
> not present in mingw).

You may build Orbit library with mingw newly.
I think .lib will not compatible some internal routines USED in
msvc.
and add library more system depend files.
You will view MSVC .dsp file more carefully.
And pthread, glib , gmodule import library will be compatible with
MSVC and mingw, I don't know. try it.

> * why does the code request winsock 2.2? As far as I
>   understand it does not use any feature not present
>   in winsock 1.1, and requesting 1.1 has the advantage
>   that it can be used under windows 95 without installing
>   winsock2.

Because, So many internet program uses Sock2, not use Sock1.
Sock2 has more stable than sock1 I think.
Change to Sock1 and try it. I think no difference will occur.

> * As far as I read the winsock spec (www.sockets.com/winsock.htm),
>   nonblocking mode should be set with u_long nonblock = 1;
>   ioctlsocket(sock, FIONBIO, &nonblock); instead of
>   ioctlsocket(sock, FIONBIO, (u_long FAR *)1); as the code does.
>   Changing this results in the code to be actually debuggable
>   with gdb, otherwise it just segfaults at the first ioctlsocket.

Frankly speaking, I have no idea above sentences.
But, winsock spec document www.sockets.com/winsock.htm is so old
document I think.

> * g_get_home_dir can be NULL (for me it is under win98 when
>   I start the application from a DOS window). In that case
>   (the program doesn't even get a segfault, so it tries
>   to strlen the zero page)...

Ok. I'll examine it. but you will change the options on command
line not using RCfile.
and Windows have not HOME DIR, just have Profile Dir, which is
exists Subdirectory of Windows Dir.
This is not familiar with normal pc users.

Thanks your interesting in WIN32 port of ORBIT.