ORBit Windows Port Q

I've got a couple of questions about the Windows
port of ORBit:

http://www.cpplover.pe.kr/Orbit/ORBit-0.5.1-win32.zip

I've actually compiled it myself with mingw, as I had
problems linking the MSVC created .lib with mingw
(the problems were some alloc helper routines
not present in mingw).

* why does the code request winsock 2.2? As far as I
  understand it does not use any feature not present
  in winsock 1.1, and requesting 1.1 has the advantage
  that it can be used under windows 95 without installing
  winsock2.

* As far as I read the winsock spec (www.sockets.com/winsock.htm),
  nonblocking mode should be set with u_long nonblock = 1;
  ioctlsocket(sock, FIONBIO, &nonblock); instead of
  ioctlsocket(sock, FIONBIO, (u_long FAR *)1); as the code does.
  Changing this results in the code to be actually debuggable
  with gdb, otherwise it just segfaults at the first ioctlsocket.

* g_get_home_dir can be NULL (for me it is under win98 when
  I start the application from a DOS window). In that case
  (the program doesn't even get a segfault, so it tries
  to strlen the zero page)...

Tom