Re: [Orbit-python-list] RootPOA

> This is more of a Orbit question but I'll crosspost so Jason gets some
> email :-)

Aww, gee, thanks for thinking of me. :)

First, a disclaimer: I haven't looked at this code in a while and I'm
awfully rusty.  I'm especially sticking my neck out when I talk about
ORBit internals, so pay more attention to say Elliot or Owen before me.
:)

> AFAICS, Orbit-0.5.3 only implements RootPOA as a possible request to
> resolve_initial_references. Is this true? Can I not access
> the NameService object?

I was reasonably sure you couldn't pass NameService to
resolve_initial_references with ORBit, and a quick perusal of ORBit's
source shows this to be the case.  The name service object only seems to
be set on calling set_initial_references, which doesn't help much when
you don't have a reference to the object to begin with.

Fetching a reference to GNOME's name service, at least, is done with
Gnorba's gnome_name_service_get().  I don't think there is some elegant
way with strictly ORBit (please correct me if I'm wrong).  For now it's
a matter of finding the IOR from the naming service and calling
string_to_object on it.

> I've been quite confused about how exactly this would work. I understand I
> can set an IOR for the name server in orbitrc, but how far down Orbit and
> orbit-python this goes is unknown to me. Can I actually use this inside
> orbit-python today?

In theory if you import the CosNaming module (in non-cvs versions you do
this with load_idl, with the CVS version just import CosNaming and it
does everything magically) and pass the IOR to string_to_object, you
should have a NamingContext object to play with.  In practice, there
seems to be some sort of bug with ORBit-Python that I still need to
track down and this will fail.

Jason.