Re: [Orbit-python-list] RootPOA

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Jason Tackaberry wrote:

> I was reasonably sure you couldn't pass NameService to
> resolve_initial_references with ORBit, and a quick perusal of ORBit's
> source shows this to be the case.  The name service object only seems to
> be set on calling set_initial_references, which doesn't help much when
> you don't have a reference to the object to begin with.

Apparently you can set an IOR for the NameService in your orbitrc, but I
have yet to see this work. This code fragment in 0.5.3 indicates it does
something when you send NameService on to it:

 else if(!strcmp(identifier, "NameService"))
        return CORBA_Object_duplicate(orb->naming, ev);

orb->naming being set through naming_ior or naming_addr. I don't know if
this code is actually being used but it is there.

> Fetching a reference to GNOME's name service, at least, is done with
> Gnorba's gnome_name_service_get().  I don't think there is some elegant

I thought the name service IOR for gnome came through X hints.. I can't
use hints as I have a real distributed operation here. However, setting
the IOR through orbitrc or through the commandline would be an initial
solution, though I would have to fill this out manually until the time
came where I'd have persistent object being started up by orbit (if this
ever gets done :-)

I suppose nobody has effectively used orbitrc or argv parameters to poison
NameService so far, however.

Take care,
--
/\/\ Christian Reis, Senior Engineer, Async Open Source, Brazil
~\/~ http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 274 4311