Re: ORBit without gnome

Peter Bouton wrote:

> Thanks.  My confusion arose from the discussion of how the Naming
> Service works in the Beginner's docs
> http://icps.u-strasbg.fr/~genaud/ORBIT/x374.htm#COSNAMEINGSERVICE.  I
> assumed the gnome_name_service_get was from the gnome libraries.  Is
> this the same service name lookup approach used for non-gnome apps?

Yes, gnome_name_service_get() is from the gnome libraries as the name
says.
Storing a service IOR in the X11 properties is a "gnome trick" and not
generalized to all CORBA applications.
In a simple CORBA app., you would have to start orbit-name-server which
would output its IOR, register your service against this name-server
with CosNaming_Namingcontext_bind(), and then a client can ask the name
server
the reference to this service (provided it knows the name server IOR of
course)
wih CORBA_ORB_resolve_initial_service().

S.G.