Re: Would Like to Contribute - Remote Desktop / Assistance

Hi,

On Jan 28, 2008 9:10 PM, Colin Walters <walters redhat com> wrote:
Hi Naveen,

On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 20:10 +0530, Naveen Chandran wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have checked out and built the online desktop from sources. I am
> interested in contributing. One of the feature that can be integrated
> is Remote Desktop / Remote Assistance by using VNC.

I agree, this is an example of where an online.gnome.org service could
help significantly.

>  Port forwarding has to done before we can establish a connection
> successfully, and there are also many techniques to establish
> connection by tunnelling through ssh (which also provides encryption)
> or through ssl. I think it would be a good idea to provide a front end
> for it.

Yep.  We just need to figure out the details for what's required and run
it on the server.  Is there a prebuilt server software for this we could
use?

I don't think on the server part anything would be required. I think it should be like two (or more) clients establish connection through ssh and vnc traffic will be tunneled through it. The thing probably required would be to make use of existing IM in case of remote assistance.

The existing remote desktop software "tsclient" can be modified by including features.

Ideas ?

--Naveen