Re: jhbuild

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 16:09 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Colin Walters <walters redhat com> wrote:
> > Hey Marco,
> >

> >  On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 15:27 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> >  > Is jhbuild the favorite way of setting up a development environment?
> >
> >  I think basically the answer is yes - we have a number of modules and we
> >  want to target integration with the latest GNOME development, and
> >  jhbuild is the best way to do that.
>
> OK, I will try harder to get it working then, and send patches for the
> issues I run into.
>
> Any reason we haven't switched to the 2.24 GNOME module set yet?

We have and we switched back ... gnome-session was not in a workable
state. One possibility would be to override gnome-session for now
in our module set back the the 2.22 branch.

> >  The problem is that the "buildabilty" tends to be poor if most
> >  developers aren't using jhbuild.  So one goal is to try to get more
> >  GNOME developers to use it.
>
> It's a bit of a chicken and egg issue probably. Not many developers
> uses jhbuild because of the poor buildability...
> It seem like a working tinderbox (build.gnome.org is apparently stuck
> on some old version) and some kind of system dependency detection
> could help a lot.

The system dependency detection is something that I've been wanting for
a while ... to make it not build an *older* fontconfig, cairo, etc
than what I have on the system.

- Owen