jhbuild

Is jhbuild the favorite way of setting up a development environment?

I tried several times to get a working build over the weekend, failing
each time in different ways. Despite fiddling quite a bit with the
modules to solve the build issues, I didn't manage to get something
running. I'm sure I could have got things working by spending some
more time to debug the issues, but that's not quite what I want to do
for every rebuild. So I had to resort to a minimal build.

Anyway I'm just interested to know if this is the normal jhbuild
experience and if someone has already a plan on how to improve it.

Thanks,
Marco