Re: What I can do with Online Desktop at this moment?

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 20:12 +0200, Manuel Rego Casasnovas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> once I've tested Online Desktop, I'm trying to know what functionalities
> can provide to me at this moment as a developer.
>
> For now I can check that it allows store GConf keys at Online Desktop
> server and it's able to synchronise these keys. This is very useful,
> because you don't need to configure your application on each computer
> that you use; and if you change some preference, it will be changed in
> every computer.
> If you think that it's a good idea I can write how to do it at
> http://live.gnome.org/OnlineDesktop/ like I relate in this email [1]. I
> don't know if I've done it well or not.

That would be great, if you wanted to put some information at
live.gnome.org/OnlineDesktop/PrefsSync or something like that. The need
to have a schema isn't obvious and has tripped us up before.

> What more things I can do with Online Desktop at this moment?

As a user? What you see is pretty much what you get. The features
of online desktop are currently:

 - The bigboard, and the available set of bigboard stocks
   (people, files, applications, etc.)
 - The Mugshot stacker application
 - GConf sync

So, the work at this point is:

 - Make the existing features better
 - Come up with ideas for more features
 - Implement them
 - Enhance the infrastructure to support that

All of which we'd love to have more people contributing to.

> What can Online Desktop provides to my applications now?

Here are some things that are available to applications through
the the data model right now.

 - The user's name and headshot
 - The user's email/aim/XMPP addresses
 - The user's account names on services like Flickr, Facebook, etc.
 - The user's contacts (on online.gnome.org, and also from their
   IM program.), and names/headshots/etc. for those contacts
 - The user's currently playing music track

Some of these things are obviously more useful than others for
applications.

> Owen said me that they are working to provide an API to store data
> needed to access to external web services (for example Gmail), but it
> isn't supported yet.

You can get the Gmail account name already. What isn't there is a
standard way to get the password or prompt for it. We'll probably
eventually provide a Python convenience library for that.... though
the underlying store for the password is something standard to GNOME,
the GNOME keyring.

- Owen