Re: [gnome-love] Starting contributing

On Wed, 2014-02-19 at 00:41 +0200, Cruceru Calin wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm a first year computer-science romanian student and I would like to
start contributing to Gnome.

Firstly, I have to say that I haven't decided yet upon a project on which
to contribute, that is why I'm writing to this mailing-list since I expect
to get more general advice here.

As far as my knowledgement is concerned, I am well-versed in C and C++,
bash scripting and I'm a beginner in javascript. I'm also very passionate
about Linux and Gnome in particular. Taking in consideration this, I want
you to suggest me a couple of projects which have as requirements these
programming languages and where I can find easy bugs to fix for the
beginning.

A good strategy is to start contributing to application that you usually
use.  Having a good understanding on how the application works it is
very helpful to understand the code base later (things will start making
sense sooner than later).  In addition, it will be easier for you to
spot bugs and annoyances.

I already read the wiki pages and installed the needed development tools.
In fact, right now the jhbuild script is running and it seems promising.

I have one more explicit question to end with: is there a method to import
all project's sources in an IDE ( anjuta I guess is most used ) ? I mean in
one step or somehow and have it organized in the project within the IDE as
they are in the project's directory.

There is a diversity of editors used in GNOME. You fill find developers
using emacs, vim, gedit, anjuta or even eclipse.

I am not versed in Anjuta myself, but my understanding is that you can
import one project at a time. Likely you can get a comprehensive answer
in #anjuta (irc.gnome.org) or in Anjuta's mailing list
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/anjuta-list

Welcome aboard!

--
Germán Poo-Caamaño