Re: [gnome-love] Starting contributing

On Thu, 2014-02-20 at 21:10 +0200, Cruceru Calin wrote:
Hi,

Firstly I want to thank you German for you reply. The first steps for
a beginner are a little bit hard and it can become even discouraging
without support.

Secondly, I will take into consideration your advice and I will choose
a specific project to start looking into and I will come back with
specific questions about its development.

Hi,

You are welcome.

Don't forget to use "Reply all" when you reply to a mailing list (it is
considered a good practice).  Thus, everybody get aware of any
acknowledgement, or can contribute with different approaches and
whatnot, or other people might see benefits in your question/answers as
well.  Everybody win.

Happy hacking!

[I am Cc'ing back gnome-love list]

        On Wed, 2014-02-19 at 00:41 +0200, Cruceru Calin wrote:
        > Hello everyone,
        >

        > I'm a first year computer-science romanian student and I
        would like to
        > start contributing to Gnome.
        >
        > Firstly, I have to say that I haven't decided yet upon a
        project on which
        > to contribute, that is why I'm writing to this mailing-list
        since I expect
        > to get more general advice here.
        >
        > As far as my knowledgement is concerned, I am well-versed in
        C and C++,
        > bash scripting and I'm a beginner in javascript. I'm also
        very passionate
        > about Linux and Gnome in particular. Taking in consideration
        this, I want
        > you to suggest me a couple of projects which have as
        requirements these
        > programming languages and where I can find easy bugs to fix
        for the
        > beginning.

        A good strategy is to start contributing to application that
        you usually
        use.  Having a good understanding on how the application works
        it is
        very helpful to understand the code base later (things will
        start making
        sense sooner than later).  In addition, it will be easier for
        you to
        spot bugs and annoyances.

        > I already read the wiki pages and installed the needed
        development tools.
        > In fact, right now the jhbuild script is running and it
        seems promising.

        > I have one more explicit question to end with: is there a
        method to import
        > all project's sources in an IDE ( anjuta I guess is most
        used ) ? I mean in
        > one step or somehow and have it organized in the project
        within the IDE as
        > they are in the project's directory.

        There is a diversity of editors used in GNOME. You fill find
        developers
        using emacs, vim, gedit, anjuta or even eclipse.

        I am not versed in Anjuta myself, but my understanding is that
        you can
        import one project at a time. Likely you can get a
        comprehensive answer
        in #anjuta (irc.gnome.org) or in Anjuta's mailing list
        https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/anjuta-list

        Welcome aboard!

--
Germán Poo-Caamaño