Re: [gnome-love] Project management software for Gnome projects

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 2:35 AM, אנטולי קרסנר <tombackton gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

I've been working for the past few months on a task management
application which makes it very easy and effective to use GTD, delegate
tasks to other team members, watch the team's work progress, etc. Before
Before I started it, I made a research. I couldn't find a free-software
application which did everything I needed for my personal usage
patterns, so I just started writing my own app.

This is really great!  Out of curiosity what are you writing it in?

So I realized how close it is, and how simple. So before I dive further
into my project, I'd like to as you a question:

Task management and sharing, collaborative decision making and many
other relates tools can be extremely useful for a large organization.
Including the Gnome project. Does the Gnome project already use this
kind of tools? I've seen Gnome Live, the wiki pages, discussions,
brainstorming, roadmaps, etc. but there's a new, higher level of
software aided task and project management. Does the Gnome project have
an interest to use such technologies?

I am not aware of anyone using these kind of tools.  The marketing team is the one that's been driving requests for more collaborative tools especially from Andrea.  We do have some need to do some project management.  I'm sure it would come in handy for those who run GUADEC as well.

I don't know from a technical stand point what people use or if they do any planning.  But the non-coding folks would certainly see some benefit.

If it does use them, I'd like to see. I don't want to re-invent the
wheel (non-free existing tools don't count). If it doesn't need any such
tools, I'd like to hear why. And if you are interested in such tools,
I'd like to know. And especially hear about use-cases, feature ideas,
etc.

I would encourage you to write it.  I for one would use it, both personally and professionally.  Apps like yours would be a boon for adoption in corporate offices.

I've actually wanted to write something to track the accomplishments of people who work for me so that end the year I would have a nice list of accomplishments.  Something to think about as well. :-)

sri

Thanks in advance,
Anatoly Krasner