Re: [gnome-love] Does gnome hate me and want me to go away?

Reply to set to the proper mailing list; gnome-love has nothing to do
with this.

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 11:46 +1000, Hal Ashburner wrote:
So I've just found (Ken & friends work?)
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/reports/patch-report.cgi?product=gnome-utils&patch-status=none

Eleven unreviewed patches for the screenshot applet.
Literally half of these are unreviewed after more than 2 years(!)

wow, I'm shocked! I wonder who's that lazy maintain... wait.

I am.

it's interesting to note that 11 unreviewed patches are quite a small
number: there are many modules with a higher count of unreviewed
patches, and most of them are very well maintained.

it's true: the amount of time I can devote to maintaining gnome-utils
has gotten smaller, due to work (both ${DAY_JOB} and on other modules in
the stack). it's not like gnome-utils is such in a bad state that it
requires high levels of maintainership. what it really requires are new
modules to replace gnome-system-log and gfloppy with something better
written/maintainable and more useful.

This seems to me like pretty good evidence that the maintainers of
"gnome-utils" haven't got the time required to look after the package
properly. I'm sure they don't mean to be so rude to the people who spent
their time fixing bugs but ultimately intentions alone don't get things
done.

no, you're wrong: I'm being rude to you.

whom I've never heard of.

common courtesy would be to mail me personally, as the maintainer, and
use the gnome-utils mailing list to push the patches to a broader
viewership.

Does it make sense to break gnome-utils up into individual packages for
each app or applet to make the workload for each smaller?

I considered this, and at the end of the day there are no maintainers
stepping up to do the job on the sub-modules of gnome-utils, except for
gnome-search-tools (which is maintained by the awesome Dennis Cranston)
and baobab (which is maintained by dynamic duo of Fabio Marzocca and
Paolo Borelli). I maintain gnome-dictionary, and try to fix
gnome-screenshot here and there. gfloppy and gnome-system-log are
completely unmaintained and rely on the kindess of strangers.

How can we get some fresh faces onto this to get things happening again?

mail patches to me, and to the gnome-utils-list. take complete
responsability for a sub-module by making it always compile. review
bugs. apply for a SVN account. stick around. at that point *you'll be
added to the maintainership team for gnome-utils*.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi,