Re: [gnome-love] Jhbuild problem - 1 out of many...

Paolo Borelli a écrit :

Il giorno gio, 20-01-2005 alle 00:45 +0100, Luis Menina ha scritto:
Someone (pbor) told me on #gnome-love that the debian version was patched against this, but the libtool used is the one retrieved with "jhbuild bootstrap", that is libtool-1.5.10... so the distro's libtool is not used.

[liberforce@localhost liberforce]$ jhbuild run which libtool
/opt/gnome2/bin/libtool

I probably wasn't very clear... the libtool version which comes with
jhbuild should be ok since it contains the patch that fixes that bug:
the patch is not included in the original tarball, however it is
automatically applied by jhbuild before building libtool.

The patch can be found in the jhbuild/patches directory.

So what I would try is:
- make sure that jhbuild is up to date (cd jhbuild; cvs up)
- rebuild libtool with jhbuild, by running bootstrap: unfortunately
jhbuild pretends to be too smart and doesn't seem to want to rebuild
libtool (it just exits sayng success)... you have two way to work around
this: the first is applying the patches by hand and rebuild libtool
manually, the other is to edit jhbuild/jhbuild/modtypes/tarball.py
commenting out (add a # at the beginning of the line) lines 105 and 106
in the function do_start.

Hope that helps

paolo

Thank you for yor help paolo, I had just too much problems and had to restart it all from scratch. I'm starting to think that the "jhbuild buildone xxxx" command is no as good as I thought first, and it seems that some things had been installed without having all their dependences met.

Anyway, I do not have this libtool problem anymore and I understood a little more how jhbuild works... but gst-plugins still doesn't compile... and the error is different.

3 weeks that I started with jhbuild and it still doesn't work... sometimes it works, sometimes when restarting from scratch, things that used to work are broken... I just don't understand why...

Well anyway, I want to give a hand to gnome, so I hope it will be ok on my machine... one day, maybe... After that i'll be able to give a look to gtk tutorials, and also to libburn, that seems to need more contributors.

Thanks for your help, i'll try again on #gnome-love to fix my problems with jhbuild. Oh, well, there's at least one thing I learned : jhbuild isn't as smart as you think. When it doesn't want to rebuild something, and you want to force it to (for example a module generate by "jhbuild boostrap"), you just have to delete the entry for this module in /opt/gnome2/share/jhbuild/packagedb.xml (if /opt/gnome2 is your gnome install path).

Thanks for your help.

Luis