NM 1.20.4 and wpa_supplicant v2.9

Hello,

I'm using NetworkManager version 1.20.4 on a device with a
Buildroot-based custom Linux distribution. The version of
wpa_supplicant is 2.9 and I've noticed that this version of supplicant
has lost the -u flag

E.g. from wpa_supplicant v2.6's help message

" -u = enable DBus control interface "

In previous versions, I would start supplicant with the -u option and
that would be all that was needed in order to get NM to manage it
using D-BUS.

So I'm wondering what is the right way of starting wpa_supplicant v2.9
to allow control by NM? Isn't NM expected to start it via D-BUS
activation if the supplicant isn't already running?

Thanks in advance for your help
Juan