Re: org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Settings.PropertiesChanged deprecated

Hi,

On Mittwoch, 14. Juli 2021 16:52:15 CEST Thomas Haller wrote:
[...]
so how can I use org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.PropertiesChanged
then?
What would be the correct way instead?
Using
  my $busobjpath = "/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Settings";
as before?
This doesn't work either, though.

Probably there is a fundamental misunderstanding regaring the concept
on my
side.

Hi,

I am not familiar with this Perl's Net::DBus, but in general:

On D-Bus, you have the well-known name
("org.freedesktop.NetworkManager") where you find NetworkManager's D-
Bus API.

There, you find many D-Bus objects, at paths that start with
"/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager". You see them with `busctl tree
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager`.

All of these objects also implement the standard D-Bus interface
"org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" -- as documented at
https://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html
That interface, has (among) others a signal "PropertiesChanged".

This "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.PropertiesChanged" signal works
very similar to the earlier "PropertiesChanged" signals from the NM
specific interfaces ( "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager*").

So, yes, there should be not much to do except replace the interface
name "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager*" with
"org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties".

you mention specifically

  my $busobjpath = "/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Settings";

In `d-feet` you'll see that this object only has three properties. So
you'll see few PropertiesChanged signals on that object...

Yeah, my fault, I meant
my $busobjpath = "/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager";

8-(

Does that help? Otherwise, please share a working, minimal example.

Ok.
This is the working example I used before - btw. it stems from a suggestion
you made back in 2016/2017 :)

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;

use Data::Dumper;