Re: unable to bringup wifi AP "No suitable device found for this connection"

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 10:55:45PM +0200, Thomas Haller wrote:
On Sat, 2020-06-27 at 13:38 -0700, Patrick Mansfield via
networkmanager-list wrote:
Hi -

I had my wifi working as an AP at one point, but had to alter things
to get my wired
network working (had a bad PCI dual port card and replaced it).

Running up to date Fedora 31, kernel 5.6.19-200.fc31.x86_64.

# nmcli -v
nmcli tool, version 1.20.12-1.fc31

I completely removed and added back the interface using nmcli.

Now when I try to bring it up, I get:

# nmcli con up nm_wifi0
Error: Connection activation failed: No suitable device found for
this connection (device lan0 not available because profile is not
compatible with device (mismatching interface name)).

Hi,

NetworkManager didn't find *any* device that was suitable to activate
the profile. It somewhat arbitrarily said that for example "device lan0
was not suitable due to reasons"). It should be smarter to recogonize
that device wlan0 would be the better one to report in the error
message.

You'd get a better message if you do:

  nmcli con up my_wifi0 ifname wlan0

to tell NetworkManager to activate the profile on that device. But that
still wouldn't succeed, it would just give a more suitable error
message.

What does `nmcli device` say?

If the device TYPE is not "wifi", you didn't install the Wi-Fi plugin
(install it and restart NetworkManager).

If the device of type wifi but in state "unavailable", probably
something is wrong with wpa_supplicant. Check the logs. Consider
enabling level=TRACE logging (and restart NetworkManager to get the
relevant messages picture). See
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/tree/contrib/fedora/rpm/NetworkManager.conf#n28
 for hints about logging.

Thanks - I had an issue with wpa_supplicant, and I had left old network names in I
think to avoid the messages below. I have it runing now and the AP is working! (Also
had to give it an IP address.)

I'm getting these logged about every second:

Jun 27 14:24:51 umbrella wpa_supplicant[79758]: wifi0: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-FAILED ret=-95 retry=1
Jun 27 14:24:52 umbrella wpa_supplicant[79758]: wifi0: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-FAILED ret=-95 retry=1

Any idea on how to stop the above?

-- Patrick